Most people think Taylor Swift is just like any other pop artist who writes cheesy songs with no meaning. Wow, could you be any more wrong. Ever since I was a sophomore in high school, Taylor has helped me with so many problems in my life just by listening to her powerful words. Each song has a different story line and a different meaning, and all of them are relatable on some level by anyone. I have learned at least one lesson from every one of her songs, but I won’t bore you with all of them. Here are my favorite 13 lessons (or stories) I have learned from Taylor Swift.
1. Mean– “All you are is mean, and a liar, and pathetic, and alone in life and mean.” There are always going to be mean people in this world and we are always going to have to just stand up and be the bigger people and not let them get us down. Some people just get pleasure out of putting others down, and it isn’t okay, but there is nothing we can do about it so we just have to move on and not care about it. (Taylor got a standing ovation for her performance of this song at the Grammy’s, so yeah, she showed them). The golden rule will always apply.
2. Dear John– “Long were the nights when my days once revolved around you”. This is the boy who thought he could play you along with a bunch of other girls but you invested all of your time in him anyway and your mom told you that this was a bad idea, but did you listen? Didn’t think so. Even your friends told you to get out while you could but it’s too late now and now all you can do is hope that he thinks of you and what he did.
3. The Last Time– “This is the last time I’m asking you this, put my name at the top of your list.” There is always that one person you just go back to. You tell yourself you won’t go back to them and you are done, but you just keep going back. But there needs to be a last time, you need to figure out what they want and if they don’t know what they want, don’t go back to them. It’s that simple. People can’t apologize for everything and then just leave and come back when it is convenient for them. It isn’t fair, so ask them one last time what they want and then be done.
4. You’re Not Sorry– “You’ve got your share of secrets and I’m tired of being last to know.” Nope, no matter how many times you say you are sorry I know you’re not so stop trying to act like “sorry” makes it okay. There is a time when you just realize someone is lying to you and that is just a big wake up call where you realize it’s time to stop letting “sorry” cut it for an explanation. Especially when that person keeps lying to you when you know the truth. This relationship never works out so it is time to end it.
5. All Too Well- “I might be okay but I’m not fine at all.” You still remember everything about this relationship. Even though it has been such a long time, the memories are still here and it feels like yesterday. Sometimes, it makes us sad and we want to go back, but other times it fuels the fire of sadness and hatred towards the situation. Thinking back on it we almost forget why it ended and want to go back. It is hard to let go of these deep memories, and that’s okay, but they will slowly fade into the back of our memories and we will realize why it ended.
6. Clean– “10 months sober I must admit, just because you’re clean don’t mean you don’t miss it.” When you finally realize someone or something is finally out of your system is the best feeling ever. It has taken you so long to get over it and it has caused you so much pain, but this is when you finally realize it is over and you are okay. Yes, sometimes you wish you could go back but you won’t ever let that happen again because it isn’t worth the risk.
7. I Know Places- “Loose lips sink ships all the damn time.” This is the relationship that everyone is trying to ruin and people talk about it like there is something wrong with it. You don’t want anyone to find out what is going on because you know everything will be over.
8. I Knew You Were Trouble- “I guess you didn’t care and I guess I liked that.” This is the toxic relationship you knew was going to end right when it started, but you held onto the hope that it would work because you had never felt something like this before, although you probably shouldn’t. He makes you feel so bad but you still crave more because he is just so complicated. Well, it’s trouble and it is going to end one way or another.
9. Never Grow Up– “Even though you want to, just try to never grow up.” Growing up is not what you expect it to be when you are little. It comes with work, bills, and scary problems that we never thought we would come across in our entire lives. Everyone grows up, but when we are little we want so badly to be older. For what? We want to be able to drive? Have our own house? Go to college? Well, remember when you are young you need to cherish being young because you aren’t always going to have your mom to take you to the movies for that awkward date and you won’t always be able to jump around the house in your PJs, so cherish that.
10. The Story of Us- “Now I’m standing alone in a crowded room and we’re not speaking, and I’m dying to know if it’s killing you like it’s killing me.” There is always that awkward situation where you are on bad or weird terms with someone. You both have your guard up and are avoiding one another. You just wish it could all go away and you could be back to normal like things used to be, but you don’t feel comfortable or welcome anymore. You are just sitting in this room full of people on opposite sides of the room not even making eye contact with each other, but you just wish so badly that you could talk to them. Does this happen to anyone else all the time or is it just me?
11. Enchanted- “I’ll spend forever wondering if you knew I was enchanted to meet you?” You are just so thankful to have met this person because they mean so much to you. You want so badly for them to know how much they mean to you, and it might not work out so you hold on to hope that it will. This is just that person that you are enchanted by and really hope they feel the same way you do.
12. Bad Blood- “Now we’ve got problems and I don’t think we can solve them.” You used to trust this person so much and believe they might actually be a good friend and have good intentions, but they stabbed you in the back so many times that you stopped believing in them. Sometimes, you just have to walk away from friendships you aren’t benefitting from and from people who are bad friends. “Time can heal but this won’t, so if you’re coming my way just don’t.” Basically, if you have a friend who stabs you in the back and you are sick of dealing with it, listen to this song.
13. Begin Again- “I think it’s strange that you think I’m funny ’cause he never did.” It is okay to fall in love after a toxic relationship. It can be a wake up call to finally find someone who thinks you are great when your ex treated you like you were worthless. Sometimes, we think love never ends happily, but we just need one person to care and think we mean something to get us going again.
and last but not least….
“If you’re lucky enough to be different, never change.” —Taylor Swift